About Amanda

I am a daughter of the living king seeking to follow Him in all I do. God has broken my heart for the orphans of this world. I am learning that my sole responsibility on earth is to love with complete abandon. Follow my journey as I continue to learn how to serve Him.

Read how my love story with God began...

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day 3

Today has been amazing. First, my rash is healing!! Thank you for your prayers! We went to Grandmother Carmen's preschool this morning. The school is held in her home underneath a tin roof. The children attend class in the stifling heat with swarms of flies on them.

After lunch we delivered care packages to families near the city landfill. These "homes" are located to beside all of the city's sewage. Raw sewage flows everywhere in this village. The houses are made of newspaper, cardboard, anything the people can find. Sickness and death fill this place. We were able to deliver food, cleaning supplies, toothbrushes, toothpastes, toys, and salvation dolls there. Most importantly we were able to pray with these people and share Christ's love.

That barrio is not a place that can be adequately described in words. Pictures only scratch the surface of the hopelessness of this place. A hard, fast rain came while we were there. It only rained for 10 minutes or so, but in that short amount of time, the entire village began to flood. Small rivers of rain, sewage, and trash formed in the paths between each house. My heart is broken for these people. Those precious children are sleeping on ground tonight and every night that is soggy from rain and sewage. They don't know what it is to feel loved. I have no doubt each one of us is changed because of today. May we never forget their brokenness. May our hearts always be broken because of the suffering of God's people. May we never stop loving.











3 comments:

  1. the pics are great! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sitting in my comfortable bedroom knowing that my family is safe and clean, well-fed and loved. I have tears streaming down my face. I can't believe people in this world still live like this. God bless them all. They are in my prayers more than ever! You are changing my life too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tears fill my eyes as I look at your pictures and read about your day. May your light shine so that others will see Jesus through you! God bless you and your team as you continue your journey this week.
    Becky

    ReplyDelete