About Amanda

I am a daughter of the living king seeking to follow Him in all I do. God has broken my heart for the orphans of this world. I am learning that my sole responsibility on earth is to love with complete abandon. Follow my journey as I continue to learn how to serve Him.

Read how my love story with God began...

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Safe

I had a post all typed up and ready about my waiting for the Uganda trip. However, I will now be saving that for a later day.

Instead, I want to share with you my experience tonight that could have been so very horrible, but by some miracle of God I was kept safe.

I spent this evening with my fiancé. The drive from his house to mine requires going through one busy intersection, then a long stretch of road with a whole lot of nothing, including street lights. I was not quite paying attention at the busy intersection like I should; I went through a light that while not red, I could have stopped for.

A car quickly appeared behind me that looked to be a police car. He had a spotlight on the driver's side that he turned on. I began slowing down looking for a place to pull over. I assumed that because I was showing my intent to pull over, he did not turn on a siren or police lights (mistake #1).

I found a spot that I was semi-comfortable pulling over at. Again, on this stretch of road there are no street lights or populated areas. Once I stopped, I got out my license and my mace (one smart decision). As the man approached my car, I heard what I thought was a police radio. When he got to my window, he was not wearing a uniform. I panicked.

He pulled out a badge, and said he was officer s0 in so (no I don't remember his name). He did not ask to see my license, but instead began yelling at me. He told me I could have killed someone, I wasn't thinking about anyone but myself, I needed to care more for other people, etc.
He even went on to tell me that he had the right to take me to jail. At that point I REALLY panicked. I argued that he had no reason to take me to jail. I had not done anything. To spare you the details of the 3-5 minutes, there was a lot more yelling on his part. The ordeal ended by him telling me he had my tag number, and would make a note on the car.

I immediately called my fiancé and told him what happened. He in turn, called the police department to make a complaint. An officer called me back, asked me to describe what happened, then proceeded to tell me that this has not been uncommon. He told me that the man was not actually a police officer (I know you're thinking, "well obviously!"), that this has been happening for several weeks in our county, and that one man has already been arrested.

Obviously, looking back I see how many mistakes I made in this instance. So I'll save you some time...1) I should not have pulled over when there were no blue lights 2) I should have only pulled over at a populated area 3) I should have called the actual police when I suspected something was off.

But mistakes aside, wow. There are no words. God's protection over me tonight has floored me. This could have ended so very differently. I am brought to tears when I think through all of the ways this could have played out, instead of me driving away safely. I have done nothing to deserve to be spared of something worse. Yet, I was, and that floors me.

3 comments:

  1. Pam Smith aka MomMay 25, 2011 at 3:01 AM

    I thank God for taking care of my daughter, again. I know He has protected you, Amanda, from many dangers both seen and unseen all your life. I praise Him for watching over you again during this scary situation. God's love and protection always amazes me. Thank you God for your angels that were riding with Amanda. I love you, Amanda. Love, Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, so glad you are okay! Thank you for sharing...I need to share this with my teens who are just starting to drive! Good reminder for all of us! Praise the Lord for your safety. Can't wait to meet you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! That would have scared the bejeebes out of me! Thank God you are safe and sound. People today have lost their ever loving mind. Were the police going to do a report on this and go out looking for him last night? We must all be careful when traveling at night. You had so many angels with you! Whew. I'm still shook up. Be careful sweetie.

    ReplyDelete